Tuesday 8 February 2011

Reflections - Thing 13

Thing 13 - unlucky for some perhaps ;)?

So, a few thoughts on the 23 Things process thus far...

The igoogle page is growing on me.  (My "Bush Quote Generator" is a great way of setting me up for the day.)  I like the 'all in one place' aspect of it.  Blogs?  They've got me thinking.  Clearly, they're only to be used if there's something worth saying.  The trick will be to ensure that those who need to see them actually do so.  Other applications?  I'm not so sure, but in any event it has been decided that there will be a meeting of the staff in The Teaching Grid at the end of the 10 weeks to consider how this learning can be applied.  I'm looking forward to that.  Maybe there should be a library wide plenary to compare experiences, and to formulate recommendations sometime during the Easter vacation.

I have found that it is necessary to go beyond the bare skeleton of the course in order to maximise its usefulness, and in order to develop my understanding.  In practice that means playing with the tools; seeing what others have done; personalising it.  The obvious occurs to me in that as Web 2.0 is an emerging technology, it will change very quickly.  Features of it will become obsolete as often as new applications are introduced.  We need to have a clear vision of what's happening in this virtual world if we're going to get the most from it, and if we're not to waste out time chasing the irrelevant.

No comments:

Post a Comment